Thursday, May 16, 2013

Altas V Launch with my sons


I missed the remote control camera setup on Tuesday
for the Atlas V rocket launch, but couldn't get the thought of missing this opportunity to film at Cape Canaveral out of my mind. When a rocket blasts off and you are within sight and close enough to taste the smoke, there is no better feeling. To describe it would not do it justice.....AWESOMENESS exploded!!!!

So I decided that with perfect blue skies, I would go for the 5:38 launch on Wednesday.

Keeping in mind that both of my sons have a science fair at school this Monday, and both of them are featuring rockets and launchers....I decided to pluck them from school, grab our swimming trunks and 4 Canon cameras.....and off we were...they were thrilled!


We of course had to stop at the Twistee Treat ice cream stand on the way, (Don Montague, you know what Im talking about).....with our bellies full we set out towards Playalinda Beach.

The crowds at the park were pretty fierce and we had to drive a bit to park in a secondary parking lot. After loading up, we crossed the boardwalk over the dunes to see 4 foot waves and about 1000 spectators who had the same plans we did.

After setting up a pocket wizard remote to the 70-200, the boys jumped into the Florida surf.  You could barely hear their screams of joy over the hovering helicopters flying overhead, but the smiles on their faces told the whole story.

Twenty minutes later, we were lined up in the waves, firing 4 cameras as the rocket lifted off towards space....

The  launch actually went on time without a hitch and it was back into the water until the rangers ordered us to leave...

We had to stop on the way out to let a 5 foot long alligator cross right in front of my truck......thats when I heard the words I love to hear....."This is the best day ever Dad!"

I hope this wont be our last launch......

More pics here

No comments:

Post a Comment